Biff med rødvinssaus – Steak with red wine sauce
April 23, 2021
Want a delicious suggestion for a lovely weekend dinner? Why not try this delicious steak with red wine sauce, paired with oven roasted vegetables.
Yield: Dinner for two
Biff med rødvinssaus - Steak with red wine sauce
A delicious steak dinner for two! This steak with red wine sauce and oven baked vegetables make for a divine weekend meal.
- 2 steaks.
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- ½ teaspoon pepper.
Red Wine Sauce
- 1 shallot.
- 2.5 dl / 1 cup red wine.
- 2.5 dl / 1 cup beef stock.
- 50 grams / 2 oz unsalted butter.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- 5 carrots in assorted colors.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon honey.
- Juice of ½ lemon.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- 4 stalks of parsley leaves
- Start with the sauce. Finely dice the shallots and quickly sear it in a pot/pan with a bit of oil.
- Add the red wine, and bring to a boil until there's 1/4th left (It will almost have the consistency of marmalade at this point). This process takes about 30 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and let it boil to about half the amount, this takes about 15 minutes.
- Peel the carrots and cut into pieces. Add them to a bakeware dish, drizzle over oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well together and put it in the oven at 200C/400F for 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Add the parsley right before serving.
- Run the sauce through a sieve, adding it back to the pot and keep warm until serving.
- Add salt and pepper to both sides of the steaks. Melt the butter in a warm frying pan. When the butter stops bubbling and the color starts to brown, add the steaks. Cook them until juices start coming to the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the steaks and cook until juices appear again, about 2 minutes. At this points the steaks will be cooked medium.
- Make sure the sauce is warm. Take it off the heater and stir in diced, cold butter. The sauce must not be bought to a boil after this point, otherwise it will separate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the steaks with the colorful carrots and the red wine sauce. It can be served as is, or you could add potatoes as a side as well if you prefer.
Recipe Source: Matprat.no. Photo: Matprat.no / Sara Johannessen.
If you try the recipe I would love to hear what you think!