Rømmegrøt – Norwegian Sour Cream Porridge
May 3, 2021
Are you gearing up for celebrating syttende Mai? It’s coming up fast!
Rømmegrøt, a sour cream porridge, has long traditional roots in Norway, with days like May 17th and midsummer day being just the start of the list.
Yield: 4 servings
Rømmegrøt - Norwegian Sour Cream Porridge
A traditional part of many Norwegian celebrations, rømmegrøt is a perfect addition to your syttende Mai celebrations!
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 5 dl / 2 cups sour cream (Traditionally seterrømme, which has 35% fat)
- 2 dl / 7 oz all purpose flour.
- 5 dl / 2 cups milk.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- Let the sour cream boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Sift half the flour into and stir well.
- Leave to boil at a low heat until the butter (fat) separates from the sour cream. Skim and set aside the butter using a spoon. Then stir in the rest of the flour.
- Add a little milk at a time, stirring well between each time. Let the porridge simmer for about 5 minutes before you add salt to taste.
Serve the porridge with sugar, cinnamon, and the butter you skimmed off the porridge during cooking.
Recipe credit: Matprat.no. Photo: Sara Johannessen/Matprat.no
If you try this recipe let me know what you thought of it!
Eplesmuldrepai - Apple Crumb Pie