Pølsegrateng – Sausage Casserole
September 10, 2021
I wanted to share a delicious recipe for pølsegrateng, or sausage casserole/bake if you will. Fall is in full swing and it’s the perfect time for a comfort dish like this. How can you go wrong with pasta and cheese, right?
Yield: 4 servings
Pølsegrateng - Sausage Casserole
A delicious bowl of fall comfort, this sausage casserole is a great and easy fall meal!
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz macaroni, or other pasta.
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour.
- 5 dl / 17 oz milk.
- 600 grams / 1 lbs sausage, such as kielbasa.
- 2 spring onions.
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz frozen peas.
- 150 grams / 5 oz grated cheese.
- Boil pasta as directed on the box. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a pot and stir in the flour. Mix well until the mixture "lets go" off the pot.
- Gradually add in milk, stirring well as you go to avoid lumps. Keep stirring until all the milk is added.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Make sure the sauce does not burn. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the sausage into even slices. Finely slice the spring onions as well.
- Add sausage, pasta, spring onions, and peas to a greased baking dish. Pour the white sauce over everything and sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 200 °C / 400 200 °F for about 15 minutes, let it bake until the cheese is golden.
Serve with a bit of salad or some good bread!
Recipe and image credit: Matprat.no.
If you try this, I would love to hear what you thought!