Plokkfiskur – Icelandic Fish Casserole
January 1, 2022
Happy New Year! I hope you’ve had a wonderful holiday season, and that 2022 will finally be a bit easier on the world after the last couple of years we’ve had.
But to get to food, I wanted to start off the new year with this recipe for Plokkfiskur! There is a similar recipe for this in Norway as well, initially it was a way to use up leftover fish, but it’s a delicious dish to make on it’s own.
Yield: 4 servings
Plokkfiskur - Icelandic Fish Casserole
- 700 grams / 1.5 lbs fish.
- 500 grams / 1 lbs potatoes.
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz butter.
- 2 onions, chopped.
- 1.5 dl / 5 oz all purpose flour.
- 2 dl / 7 oz milk or cream.
- 2 dl / 7 oz fish broth.
- Salt and white pepper.
- Boil the fish in a little water, and put it on a sieve (Remember not to discard the fish broth).
- Boil potatoes until fork tender.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and let the onion soften for a few minutes. Stir in the flour, and then stir in the fish broth and milk/cream to a smooth sauce.
- Roughly mash the fish and cut the potatoes into cubes, and add to the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rye bread.
Recipe and image source: Alberteldar.com.
If you try this recipe, I would love to hear what you think!