Perunavohvelit – Potato waffles
For February’s first Wednesday Waffles we have another savory version from Finland, potato waffles!
A great hearty everyday food, that’s also gluten free, and tastes great for everyone at the table!
As I have mentioned in previous waffle entries, please keep in mind that for Finnish waffles, or Scandinavian waffles in general, you will need a heart waffle maker. The biggest difference here isn’t that they’re heart shaped, but they are also a lot thinner than the usual American/Belgian waffles. A waffle maker like this would be perfect, and let’s you cook two at the time!
Perunavohvelit - Potato waffles
A savory recipe for potato waffles, a delicious hearty everyday food for the whole family! In addition, it is gluten free!
- 50 grams / 1.8 oz butter.
- 900 grams / 2 lbs potatoes.
- 1 shallot.
- 1 egg.
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- Butter for frying.
Sour Cream and Roe
- 1 dl / 3.5 oz sour cream.
- 80 grams / 3 oz vendace roe.
- 1 chopped red onion.
- 1 lemon, sliced.
Blue Cheese and Cloudberry Jam
- 140 grams / 5 oz Crumbly Blue Cheese.
- 4 tablespoons cloudberry jam.
- Fresh parsley.
- Wash the potatoes. Grate long strips of the potatoes lengthwise and pour into a colander. Rinse the potatoes thoroughly with cold water and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Peel and chop the onion. Mix the potato, onion, egg, melted butter, and salt.
Allow the waffle batter to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Grease and heat the waffle iron. Fry 8 potato waffles until golden brown.
- Serve potato waffles with your choice of topping, either sour cream and roe or blue cheese and cloudberry jam.
Recipe and image source: Arla.fi.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you try the recipe I would love to hear what you think!