Grateng med sellerirot – Celery root (celeriac) bake
April 26, 2021
Celery root is used a lot in the Norwegian kitchen, and just the smell of it will make me hungry. My experience when I lived in rural USA was that it can be a bit hard to find in the stores, but would be worth looking around for! It’s also known as celeriac.
This bake is a wonderful recipe to make if you want a meat free dinner, but also makes a great side dish!
Yield: 6 servings
Grateng med sellerirot - Celery root bake
Celery root gives this bake a delicious flavor! A great option for a meat free dinner, or a wonderful side dish.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- ½ celery root.
- 300 grams / 10.5 oz potatoes (Preferably a mealy type).
- 2 carrots.
- 1 Parsnip or parsley root.
- 3 eggs.
- 3 dl cream.
- 150 g grated cheese.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Butter to grease the pan.
- Cut celery root, potatoes, carrots, and parsnip/parsley root in thin slices - a mandolin is great to use if you have it.
- Place a sheet of baking paper at the bottom of a oven proof bakeware dish and grease the edges of the dish with butter.
- Lay the sliced vegetables layer wise in the dish.
- Whip together cream, eggs, cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture over the vegetables.
- Place dish at the bottom of the oven in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for about an hour.
Ready to serve! If served on it's own it is great with some good bread served next to it.
Recipe and photo source: Frukt.no.
If you try this recipe I would love to hear what you think about it!