Fårikål – Mutton and cabbage stew
September 27, 2021
Fall is a time for fårikål here in Norway! And fårikål is a lamb/mutton and cabbage stew.
In fact, fårikål is Norway’s national dish and has been since the 1970s. It even has it’s own day which was established in 1998, they decided it is always the last Thursday in September! So this year Fårikålens dag is on Thursday 30th of September. In case you want to try this out, here is the recipe!
Yield: 4 servings
Fårikål - Mutton and cabbage stew
Here is a easy recipe for Norway's national dish, fårikål!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1.5 kg / 3 lbs mutton or lamb (Sliced shoulder, neck, or breast on the bone.)
- 1.5 kg / 3 lbs cabbage.
- 4 teaspoons whole black peppercorns.
- 2 teaspoons salt.
- 5 dl / 17 oz water.
- Cut the cabbage into large wedges.
- Layer meat and cabbage in a pot, starting with meat at the bottom. Sprinkle salt and pepper between the layers.
- Pour over the water. Bring to a boil, then lower temperature and let the pot simmer on low heat until the meat is so tender it let's go off the bone, about 2 hours.
Served with boiled potatoes!
Recipe and image credit: Matprat.no.
If you try this I would love to hear what you thought!